The Body Shop - Shade Adjusting Drops - Lightening

14:45

I've been stalking The Body Shop's website for months now since I saw the release of the Shade Adjusting Drops in the UK. When I saw the drops finally launched in Aus, I raced to my local store to get my mits on them. I ended up with the Lightening Drops, as they were designed for use with light and medium foundations. For those interested in the Darkening Drops, they've been designed for those with dark skintones to darken the foundation whilst still maintaining depth, with red pigments to neutralise ashy-ness. 

The product contains concentrated white and pink pigments to lighten and neutralise yellowness. The bottle contains 15mL worth of product. This is smaller than your usual foundation of 30mL, but as the product is only designed to be used in drops, this volume makes sense. 


 As the name suggests, the product comes out in drop form. A pipette allows for control of the volume of product. 


I usually pump my foundation onto the back of my hand, but for the purpose of this post I'll be using a plastic sheet. Their website says 1 drop = 1/2 shade lighter. I tend to start out with a drop, mix, add another drop, and mix, to avoid making the foundation lighter than I need.



Here's the result (top to bottom): 
  1. Lightening Drops
  2. Chi Chi Fabulous and Flawless in 0.5 + 4 drops
  3. Chi Chi Fabulous and Flawless in 0.5
  4. Maybelline Dewy + Smooth in Sandy Beige + 4 drops
  5. Maybelline Dewy + Smooth in Sandy Beige


So, what do I think?

I think this a phenomenal product. It reduces the number of different foundations I need, because as a fake tanner, my skin tone can pretty much range from the shades above. Even if your skin tone doesn't vary, it also has great applicability for finding the right shade for you. Some brands don't have a great shade range, and often your skin tone doesn't necessarily match the shades they offer. Or, foundations for paler skin tones can often be too pink, and contrary to what every brand thinks, some pale beauties actually have a yellow undertone to their skin!  The lightening drops can be added to a slightly darker yellow toned foundation to result in a yellow toned pale foundation! Although the product does contain pink pigments, I found it didn't actually enhance the pinkness or neutralise any yellowness. 

The drops are supposed to work with most foundations, so if you've got one in particular you want to  use it with, test it by bringing it instore or take a sample home before you buy. Although to be honest, its worked well with all of mine so far. It didn't effect the formula or change the coverage.

The drops retail for $29.95, and are available both instore and online!

Thanks for reading! - Em xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments